BMJ Learning Hospital Collection offers e-learning modules that address critical areas
Multi-professional teams can learn using a mixture of 3D animation, audio, images,
text and clinical cases,
all peer-reviewed and regularly updated to reflect the very latest guidance.
- Assessing pain and using the analgesic ladder1
- Management of acute pain in adults: a guide for foundation doctors
- Drug errors in hospital practice2
- Drug errors are the most common cause of adverse events in hospitals. This module
highlights high-risk areas and offers practical tips to ensure safe prescribing.
- Fluid management in acutely ill patients3
- Learn the fundamentals of fluid balance, how to assess fluid status, the basics of
fluid therapy, and how to tailor fluid balance to the individual patient, including
during acute illness.
- Injectable medicines: prescribing, preparing, and administering4
- There are more errors in prescribing, preparing, and administering medicines by injection
than in any other form of prescribing. This module, which covers dosages, administration
rates and dilutant volumes, will help you to to minimise risk and improve patient
- Quick tips: Inpatient oxygen therapy - a practical guide5
- Learn more about the main types of oxygen delivery device and their indications in
this short video module, which includes top tips on how to safely prescribe oxygen
for hospital inpatients.
- Survival guide - safe prescribing for surgical inpatients6
- A practical guide to prescribing on the ward in your first surgical post as a junior
doctor. This module covers a range of perioperative prescribing challenges, including
management of hypoglycaemia, anticoagulation, and epidurals, plus some common emergencies
such as opioid overdose.
- Starting patients on anticoagulants in secondary care: how to do it7
- This module provides essential information for healthcare professionals in secondary
care on starting anticoagulants safely and effectively. It is based on the best available
- Maintaining patients on oral anticoagulants: how to do it8
- Learn how to maintain patients on oral anticoagulation, best practice for dose adjustment,
different models of care, and the potential harms of oral anticoagulants.